Someone Stole my TitleJuly 31, 2013
My latest manuscript has changed names four times. Yes, four freakin’ times. When I finally hit my favorite and received rave reviews from my writing community, wouldn’t you know it? A new book released by a famous author with MY title.
It happens. As writers we must persevere and keep searching for the Holy Grail of titles. It’s important. People will pick up a book because of its title. So, how do you do?
- Make a list of characteristics that make your book unique. Is it funny? Fantastical? Dark? The title should reflect the book in some way.
- Use your computer’s thesaurus to begin making a list of words that you associate with your book.
- Carry a journal with you (or use your smart phone notes) to copy restaurant names, titles of other books, and articles you read.
- Create a master list of ideas and highlight various words or phrases. When matched together, they may create a clever ring
- Ask your critique group to vote on your top five and voila! You have yourself a title.
And in the unfortunate even that it’s stolen, cry. Then look at your list and start again. It will be even better.